Today is America Recycles Day, which begs the question – have you ever reused a box for something nifty? With the holidays coming up, everyone will be getting and using lots of boxes so what can people do with all those boxes besides using them to send things? Ellie the Wienerdog has compiled a handy list of creative ways to recycle used boxes to better conserve our natural resources and show respect to Mother Earth.
- Postcards – Everyone loves a handwritten, well-crafted card. You can cut out cards from your boxes and use them as postcards. You don’t even need an envelope – you can just stick a stamp on the homemade postcard, write a message and send!
- Storage boxes – Like being organized in style? Wrap some of your boxes in twine or fabric (or both) and use to as storage bins for assorted items. Who needs the Container Store?!
- Cat Scratching Post – Everyone knows how much cats love boxes as beds, as exercise equipment as everything and anything. So why not take some cardboard and set them up a scratching post to destroy? Corrugated cardboard is the best for this but really any kind will do.
- Coasters – Using some patterned duct tape and some scissors, you can create some cute coasters to protect your coffee table from drink stains. Bonus – these can also double as furniture sliders to protect your floor from scratches.
- Photography Light Box – Every photographer knows how important proper light is and how tricky it can be to properly manage light in pictures. A light box can be the easiest way to conquer light related obstacles and using recycled boxes, is very simple to make.
We hope you have a great America Recycles Day and get to try out some of these cool crafts! Have some even better, more creative ways to reuse and recycle cardboard boxes? We would love to hear about it or any other fall fun! Feel free to share your experiences and images on our Facebook, tweet it to @EllieWienerdog or tag us on your Instagram post using @elliewienerdog. Share for a chance to win some cool Ellie bling like bookmarks, magnets or stickers.